Website powered by

Gas Explosion

Hi!
This is my first attempt at creating an explosion in Houdini. Created with the pyro solver and many micro-solvers. There's also a pop sim in there for the little smoke streaks. I worked on this in class and in my personal time during most of the semester. Finished during the holidays.
Rendered and shaded in Mantra/Houdini. For the render, I used my school's computers with Deadline to make a render farm of about 50 machines. I had to restart a couple of times because of weird render issues. I did the comp in Houdini but ended up redoing it in Nuke because of the render limitations of Houdini Apprentice.
Happy Holidays!

Very early iteration, simple playblast in mplay.

Some time later in the iteration process

Pure beauty pass after the render in Mantra/Houdini, no comp at all.

Still 1 (lost some quality because of png compression)

Still 1 (lost some quality because of png compression)

Still 2

Still 2

Still 3

Still 3

Pure beauty pass after the render in Mantra/Houdini

Pure beauty pass after the render in Mantra/Houdini

Vimeo link