This is my first attempt at creating an explosion in Houdini. Created with the pyro solver and many micro-solvers. There's also a pop sim in there for the little smoke streaks. I worked on this in class and in my personal time during most of the semester. Finished during the holidays.
Rendered and shaded in Mantra/Houdini. For the render, I used my school's computers with Deadline to make a render farm of about 50 machines. I had to restart a couple of times because of weird render issues. I did the comp in Houdini but ended up redoing it in Nuke because of the render limitations of Houdini Apprentice.